Main Menu

Memorial plaque

Frongoch placA memorial plaque marks the site of the camp at a lay-by on the beside the A4212 Bala to Trawsfynydd road.

The plaque is the result of hard work by the Liverpool branch of Conradh na Gaeilge, the local cultural group Cantref, Cymdeithas yr Iaith (Welsh Language Society) and the support and interest of many in the Bala area, Liverpool and further afield.

Unveiled on a wet and windy afternoon, 29 June 2002 in front of about a hundred well wishers. The Irish tricolour flew beside the national flag of Wales and the Starry Plough. The plaque’s inscription reads in English, Irish and Welsh: 1,800 Irishmen were interned here after the Easter Rising, Dublin, 1916.

The plaque can be found at the lay-by on the side of the A4212, a little way beyond the village cafe

, , , , , , , , , , ,